Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Stop the Traffick

This Saturday we are having a divisional prayer night for "Stop the Traffick"

I'm really looking forward to it, especially because I am performing a drama for it. However as I write and practice it, I find that it is so hard. I don't understand what it is like to be sold as a 9 year old into a brothel and used daily. I don't understand what it means to not know where my family is, or to witness someone being shot because they say what they feel. I could not imagine being sewn up time and time again so that men would think I was a virgin... yet people in this world do know what this feels like and it's scary.

I feel like I am falling so short of the mark, like how could I be a good enough actor to portray what this is...

The key to art, whether it be drama, painting, song, dance whatever, is to feel it. To know what you're saying, to know the moves and mechanics is important yes, but you could know every word, having perfect pitch and do flawless key changes in a song, but if you do not believe it, what is the point? Nobody will feel it because it is passionless... if you're passionless, you may as well go do some equations coz they don't convey a whole lot of emotion....

So I have to learn to feel this and as I get better, I find myself crying and hurting badly for these people. Wherever you are, whatever you do, remember the victims of trafficking and pray for them.

No comments: