Monday, August 14, 2006

Tactful Advice

Don't you just love the way people think they know what is best for you? And how we immediately look for the negatives in situations and people? Today was interesting.

It commenced with an unlicenced driver sitting in my passenger seat telling me how to drive, even though everything I was doing was legal and fine, this person seems to be convinced they know how to drive. Uhuh. Although I'm not mad about this, it's more of a "hmm, can I try to make you a better driver from my observations" but I still see the comical value in it.

Then, at the moment, I am getting so many lectures from people about my efforts at school and how they think I should go to tutorials after school and bla bla bla. But these people who are saying this don't have commitments such as work, and domestic duties that simply become demanding. So I get frustrated and think seriously, when did it become your business? And why do you care if I seem tired now? Where was this "concerned nature" 12 months ago when I really truly needed it?

But it isn't finished. So far, I've spent my whole day being slammed for this and that and bla bla bla, then I receive 2 lectures about getting my auto licence and not manual. I'm like, how does it affect you? I've weighed up auto and manual and chose auto for what I think are very legitimate reasons, such as enjoying the freedom and ease of driving an auto, the fact that everyone I know has auto, that I am a total unco... and they claim you don't have control in an auto and I think "hmm, obviously you just can't drive an auto" because you can control it and it does have gears that can be used when needed... so I think seriously, I have a mode of transport, so get over it! Amazes me how it is their business.

Oh, and the same people who tell me I don't work hard enough with school tell me I should take a day off when I dislocate my knee, which happens so often. Twice this week in fact. So go figure that.

And generally speaking, it's like this big onslaught of attacks and nosiness all round. People seem to think they know everything about everyone, but if you look closely at their life, they have their problems too. Also, everybody gets "offended" by everyone. I so hate that word "offended" because it gives us a right to be mad at people for not always good reasons and makes us feel oh so righteous, when really, only Jesus is, and I don't think he ever said "wow, I feel so "offended" by your comment that I decided to take out of context"

Genuine concern for a person is fine, and good even. But I think we ought to look at our own actions before making sweeping statements about each other, and maybe we need to be more tactful in our approach. Blatant attacks and debates close people off and make them defensive, so why do it?

No comments: