Sunday, August 06, 2006

Plug For Stafford

Do you know what I love about my church? That people do care. Sometimes they aren't so good at showing it, and of course there are always a few who have had bad attitudes to the church, but most try. Like for example, when my car was having problems on Friday night, heaps of people helped, whether it was to do with the car or calming me down, or organising me to see other salvo mechanics (lol salvo discount) they all pitched in and didn't leave me stranded. Today, someone from church gave me some stuff she'd looked up especially for me to see a doctor who will be good at looking after me and people just get excited about each other's lives. It's really great. And this might all sound a bit self-centred, but it's not, because that is what church is about... looking after each other with the guidance of God.

I went through a big phase of wanting to leave my church, and the last few weeks I have felt really uncomfortable for me to be there (because of my own issues) but today it all just clicked. Our church does this thing now where one person comes out the front (a pre chosen person) and the congregation just offer encouragement and it is really lovely. I love my church, I love the people, I love the way we are young and are still learning to walk, but that we're heading in the right direction and we're getting there. It's all about vision. And I love the mix, the way we have drug and alcohol addicts (or past addicts) come to our service, we have homeless kids who call Monday night cricket church, we have wealthy people and students, young, old... it's great the mix. But we shouldn't get cocky, lots of things need work. Yeah, plug for Stafford!

No comments: