Friday, February 02, 2007

Hospital Dramas

I haven't blogged in over a month, but I am fairly sure nobody actually cares, since I have no "why don't you blog" type comments. Oh well nobody loves me.

So I will just talk to myself.

It has been a week since I left hospital after my knee operation. I had a patella stablisation which entailed a laterell release and mediol advancement, which can also be call plarquation. In lamens terms, I had one muslce loosened up, one tightened up and the whole point is so the muscles that support the knee cap work together and at equal strength because before the operation one of my muscles was overactive and pulled my knee cap out, which hurts. A lot. Like really hurts.

Anyway, hospital was an interesting experience. When I was in the recovery ward, I had really low temperature and blood pressure so they were like, nah, you can't be admitted yet. Then when that got stabilised, I was in stacks of pain, so they pumped me up with lovely liquid drugs that kinda make your head go a little funny... ahh to the blessed painkillers. BUT THEN I wasn't breathing properly. A side effect of the general anaesthetic is that sometimes it makes your brain slow down and think you don't need to breathe. So before I could be admitted into the normal ward, they said I needed to be breathing about 12 - 14 times a minute, but I was breathing about 7, which isn't good.

So two hours later I was put in a ward with 3 other post-op women, all with knee issues and I was probably the youngest by about 30 years. Gotta love it. I discovered that hospital is not a quiet place, the lady next to me had a urinary tract infection (which I learnt all about through the doctors and nurses who were speaking loudly at normally quiet hours of the night) and so she was buzzing every twenty minutes, and then every two hrs they did our obs but I was always the last one, so should I have managed to sleep, I got woken up by the first lady who made her complaints known.

Day 2 I had to go to the toilet (by the way, bed pans all night... lovely!!!) so the nurse got me up and I awkwardly hobbled into the loo, she said to buzz when I was done. So I did, but then I got this overwhelming dizziness and I'm like "oooh, I really need to spew" and I buzzed again, but they didn't come, so in my sorry state I tried to get out of the bathroom, but passed out. 5 minutes later, I felt two nurses pick me up and put me on the bed and I was sweating lots and felt sick and they were like, keep your eyes open and I didn't want to.

This whole passing out experience happened about 6 or 7 more times in the four days that followed. Pain and painkillers and shock from surgery caused it. I'm much better now.

Except that it still hurts and physio sucks and I am SERIOUSLY bored. I have nobody to talk to, I can't go anywhere, I miss my car so much. Even having a shower turns into a huge event. So basically, my day consists of waking up at midday or later, eating, playing the sims, speaking to Antony for a very short time because the mobile costs heaps, then going to bed sometime shortly after dinner. It's so lame and I am really lethargic because of lack of activity and my eyes are all mirky. Eww.

I cannot wait to start uni and get up and be active again! Until then, I will be lonely and bored.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is going to be some bring old article, but it really compensated for ours time. I will posted a links to this post on my blog. I am sure ours visitor will think that very useful