Thursday, November 23, 2006

Humans are territorial

I have come to the conclusion that men are a strange species. It is almost as though they spend every second of the day scanning their surroundings for a potential girlfriend (or hook up). I mean sure, women do this to an extent, but I know that I for one do not look at every guy I meet as potential. Granted, I have a partner, but even when I didn't I was never obsessed with guys!!!

In the last 6 months I have felt almost inundated with offers from various people (I say people because it included one female...) and I have noticed that when it comes to dating, men are not humans, in actual fact, they lose all of their higher order thinking and what you see is the pheromones (sorry if that is spelt wrong). It is this that causes the charm, the chattiness, the eagerness to impress, the clinginess, the stupid stunts and the animosity towards other male contenders.

But it isn't all a bad thing... I mean think about animals. How good must it feel for the female to know that two men want the privelage of being "intimate" with her so bad that they will fight to the death for the right. She must feel pretty special. So I guess it is the same thing with humans. Ok, so men don't fight to the death, and they are not exactly ONLY fighting for the privelage of intimacy (although in most cases it will ultimately end that way should he be truly successful) but nevertheless, they will do nearly anything to get the gal.

This leads me onto my dear Antony. Now he knows I love him and that no one else could ever receive a glance, because he's everything I want and all the mushy stuff, and he knows all this. However, when he knows that I am being pursued (we're still using animal language here) he becomes very defensive. He is not happy that another male is trying to move in on his property. So his first response is usually one of passive aggression towards the other (thankfully not all of the higher order thinking left, otherwise blood would be shed), then it becomes a mood of protectiveness, then finally, one of extreme affection.

At the end of the day, the Alpha male can rest knowing that his female is still in his territory. He knows that he must rejuvinate his strength for he never knows what kind of opponent tomorrow may bring.

At the end of the day, the Chosen female rests not fully comprehending why her male is being so defensive when she only has eyes for him, but does not bother questioning it, rather watches as her male goes to battle to prove his love for her.

And the crazy thing is... we're talking about humans here!

No comments: